Thursday, October 23, 2014

{Review} The Collectors' Society by Heather Lyons


From the author of the Fate series and The Deep End of the Sea comes a fantastical romantic adventure that has Alice tumbling down the strangest rabbit hole yet.

After years in Wonderland, Alice has returned to England as an adult, desperate to reclaim sanity and control over her life. An enigmatic gentleman with an intriguing job offer too tempting to resist changes her plans for a calm existence, though. Soon, she’s whisked to New York and initiated into the Collectors’ Society, a secret organization whose members confirm that famous stories are anything but straightforward and that what she knows about the world is only a fraction of the truth.

It’s there she discovers villains are afoot—ones who want to shelve the lives of countless beings. Assigned to work with the mysterious and alluring Finn, Alice and the rest of the Collectors’ Society race against a doomsday clock in order to prevent further destruction . . . but will they make it before all their endings are erased?


So I have a confession to make... 
Alice in Wonderland is probably one of my least favorite stories... I think it has to do with the way the movies portrayed this fantasy land, I always felt like I was on drugs while watching them... 
Even Johnny Depp couldn't turn me on to it and I love me some him... 

Don't throw things at me because even if I didn't care for this particular children's story, I did LOVE The Collectors' Society!! 

I don't think LOVE is a big enough word for this story... It's more like obsessed, I want to capture Heather Lyons and hold her in my basement until she produces the next edition, kind of love... 

Too Much??

 Ehh... I am sort of kidding, I don't have a basement.. 


This book entranced me so much that once I started, it was 6 hrs later before I realized it was dark outside, my husband was snoring next to me and I didn't even remember the last time I went pee (which is a feat on it's own because I have a baby always pushing on my bladder)... I couldn't believe I had lost myself so wholly that I didn't even remember my husband coming to bed or that I had lost so much time. 
But I also didn't care, I needed to keep reading and finish what I started... 
I couldn't put the book down!

The characters, storyline, the way everything was presented and explained...everything about this book just kept me present and not wanting to put it down. Even after I finished reading it, I was left thinking about timelines, books I loved as a kid, what I would do if I met one of my favorite characters.. I was just so lost in this world and I am a little depressed to be done, because I didn't want it to be over!


Heather has an amazing knack for making you travel inside her books and taking you on a journey that you never want to end! The imagery that is produced inside your mind is so refreshing and unique. Her stories may have similar elements to stories past (like the legend of Medusa or Alice in Wonderland) but she puts her own spin on it that makes it completely her own. She isn't retelling old stories, she is creating new ones with new experiences, and new adventures! 

Plus, her characters are older so I have more in common with them and it's not kid-like because certain scenes wanted to melt my panties off!! BUT at the same time, this book and her previous works have given me a sense of nostalgia by bringing characters to life that I haven't read about in so long. I wanted to reintroduce myself to the old books I have long since put away because it is like she is continuing their stories by keeping them alive in her own books. 

I know I will never be disappointed with anything she writes and she quickly became one of my favorites, go to, must read everything she writes even her grocery list kind of author!! If you haven't read anything by her yet, I HIGHLY URGE you to do so!!  You will not be disappointed, I guarantee it! 

No surprise, I give this amazing story 5 "I can't wait for more" Stars!!! Oh and even though it is a series, this first book DOES NOT end on a cliffhanger, but you will be salivating for the next book!

Check below for the link to The Collectors' Society on Amazon:


No comments:

Post a Comment