Monday, March 3, 2014

{Review} Hard As You Can by Laura Kaye


Ever since hard-bodied, drop-dead-charming Shane McCallan strolled into the dance club where Crystal Dean works, he’s shown a knack for getting beneath her defenses. For her little sister’s sake, Crystal can’t get too close. Until her job and Shane’s mission intersect, and he reveals talents that go deeper than she could have guessed. 

Shane would never turn his back on a friend in need, especially a former Special Forces teammate running a dangerous, off-the-books operation. Nor can he walk away from Crystal. The gorgeous waitress is hiding secrets she doesn't want him to uncover. Too bad. He’s exactly the man she needs to protect her sister, her life, and her heart. All he has to do is convince her that when something feels this good, you hold on as hard as you can—and never let go.

My Thoughts

Ok, this review is a little late due to technical difficulties I was having with my computer. It was supposed to be posted last week and I have been playing catch up with my blog ever since!! 

Hard As You Can starts off backtracking a little bit to the rescue scene from Hard As It Gets but this time it is told from Crystal's point of view. She tells us what happened from her end and why she helped the team free Charlie from the grasp of the local gang. 

Crystal risked her life to help them and Shane has an inclination she just might be trapped under the thumb of the gang as well and wants to help her. He can't explain why he wants to help her (other than the demons that haunt him about his sister) and his subconscious won't let him forget Crystal. But when he tries to get close to her, Crystal completely wards off all his attempts because she is scared of a lot of things and the biggest one is her high level gang banger boyfriend. 

This book had a lot of twists and aggravating moments that made me want to rip my hair out one minute and then throw the book the other. 
I enjoyed this book but I did not like it as much as I loved the first one. There wasn't much story added to the overall theme of getting the team's name back in good standing, which is what I loved the most about the first book. This one was focused on more of Shane and Crystal's lives and what they regret and all their demons. Not much given to the questions I had after reading the first book. 

I also didn't really FEEL the connection between Shane and Crystal. The writing was focused mostly on each character, individually, and not a lot on them together. I just didn't feel anything and I was hoping for a happy outcome but it didn't bother me either way. I didn't get any butterflies rolling around my tummy or anything that would make me want to go to the ends of the earth to make them work as a couple. 
(AND come on, they had sex for the first time at the WORST possible time EVER!!) I know if I was in that situation I would have been waaaaaay to worried to even get my vagina to work properly! 

But I am still interested in where this series is taking me and what Laura is planning, because I have a feeling once all the books are out and I see what she is working towards, I will love the overall series HARD CORE!!! 

Based on this individual book though, I will have to give it a 3.5/5. I am still looking forward to the next one and will be anxiously waiting to learn more about these badass, sexy, ex army special operatives!!

Below is the link to check the series out for yourself...






No comments:

Post a Comment