Monday, January 28, 2013

My poor brain will need rehab after this mind f**k...

Sooooo As you all know I challenged myself and you guys to step out of your comfort zone genre and explore a new book to see what would happen.. So I stepped out of my genre, went head first, took the challenge and my book of choosing was Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.. This is not something I would normally read so to say this was a challenge is putting it nicely....

Here is the description from Amazon: 
Marriage can be a real killer. 
    On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer? 
   As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn’t do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?
   

Here is my take on this: 
If the author was trying to completely (and excuse my language) mindfuc* me she did one heck of a job. My head was spinning the entire time reading this book. 

Amy is presumed dead not being found and of course her husband Nick is the prime suspect. We have all seen the movies, watched the t.v. shows and if a wife goes missing the first person looked at is the husband. This book is no different, especially after socially awkward Nick is shown on t.v. smiling while holding a press conference and the way he is acting is totally not how a distraught husband would act after his wife is found to be missing. 
I can't get into much more detail about this book because it will give away the major plot of the book. 

Gone Girl was definitely not for me, I enjoyed reading it because it kept me guessing but other than that it gave me a headache and made me want to drink a bottle of wine after I was done. One critique I would give, is the author seemed to be redundant after a while especially the way the characters explained things, it got kind of old!!! Like ok I get it you own a thesaurus and know how to explain the same situation with 9 different adjectives, but it's time to move on now please!! This caused me to skip over paragraphs because I just didn't care anymore! Other than that the book was ok. I give it 3/5 stars and I would like to see the movie because I am sure the on screen version would be better because I don't have to read the characters monologues inside their heads and how to explain a certain thing with the same adjectives over and over again! 

If you like thrillers with twists and turns that will completely mess with your mind then READ THIS!!!! 

But as for meeee I want to curl back up with my YA-NA-Romance-Dramatic-Fictions and never leave them again!!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment