Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Shooting Scars by Karina Halle

I was approved to read this book from NetGalley and Forever (Grand Publishing). I was so excited that I got approved that I dropped every single book I was reading at that moment to dive head first inside this one and did not come back up for air, to eat, take a shower (no judgement zone), until I finished this book. The only time I stopped was when my body said eff you, go to sleep and I passed out!


When Ellie Watt made the ultimate sacrifice for Camden McQueen, she never thought it would be easy. But walking away with her ex-lover, Javier Bernal, in order to ensure Camden’s safety has brought a whole new set of dangers. With Javier’s plans for Ellie growing more secretive by the moment, Ellie must find a way to stay ahead of the game before her past swallows her whole.

Meanwhile, Camden’s new life is short-lived. Fueled by revenge and pursued by authorities, he teams up with an unlikely partner in order to save Ellie. But as Camden toes the line between love and retribution, he realizes that in order to get back the woman he loves, he may have to lose himself in the process. He might just turn into the very man he’s hunting.

Told in dual POV from Camden and Ellie

My Thoughts

This is going to be a small review because I do not want to give anything away to those of you who have not read it yet! This is the SECOND installment of The Artist Trilogy so if you have not read Sins & Needles yet then DO NOT read this review and go pick up S&N!! 

After reading Sins & Needles I thought.. FINALLY a book that is different from the rest of them, FINALLY an original concept with a swoon worthy boy with tattoos! I was so intrigued I was anxiously waiting for the second book to come out! I couldn't wait and then I see it on NetGalley and I just HAD to have it. I requested it and prayed to the holy gods that I get approved.. 
Well I did and I just couldn't wait to sink my teeth into it. 

When S&N leaves off, Ellie gives up her freedom to protect Camden and his family so Javier takes her captive.

When Shooting Scars starts Ellie and Javi are headed back to their "home" in Mississippi. Ellie is trying to hold back her feelings for Javier and being that close to him doesn't help anything...at all. She knows he is dangerous and she is more scared of him now than before. I was really confused on what was going on in Javi's head I wasn't sure if he wanted to make Ellie suffer or just love her the only way he knew how.. Probably a little of both. But those of you that are team Javi will definitely enjoy reading this story!! 

This book was told in alternating POV's between Camden and Ellie. I LOVED that Karina Halle did this, I LOVED being inside Camden's mind, especially when I was getting really MAD at Ellie, it was a nice break. 

Camden was just as charming and sexy in Shooting Scars as he was in S&N but I started to see a change in him and I wasn't sure if Camden was going to be the same after he found his Ellie, there were things that he had to do that normally made other people completely cringe.

Ellie was just as frustrating in Shooting Scars as she was in S&N but this time we are seeing how she was with Javi and maybe why she can't leave him alone. There were times where I was completely overwhelmed with the emotions that were being portrayed and I couldn't figure out who/what I wanted from these characters. 
(of course I am team Camden all the way though.. I mean DUH)

We are also introduced to Ellie's "handler" the man who was there for her when she needed to change who she was. The one who Ellie told Camden he could trust, Gus. We find out more details about this guy and whoa it has to be foreshadowing for the third book and I can't wait to find out more.

I was left on a roller freaking coaster while reading this. It was so full of action on both sides of the POV that I was practically biting my nails off and hanging onto the edge of my seat. I was afraid of falling over or grossing myself out.. it really could have went either way! 

It leaves off much like the first one where I was cursing because October is sooooo far away and I want to know what happens with these characters and I want to know NOW!!!

I love these books because they are different, they are not just your regular love story/triangle and I have been intrigued with the drugs, sex, money and death! 
Call me morbid but I can't seem to put them down.. at all!! 

Oh and the sex is freaking HOT.. I was constantly getting riled up for no particular reason but damn if I wasn't enjoying every bit of it!

I give this book a 4.5/5 and I CAN'T wait for the next installment to find out what happens with Javi, Camden, Ellie, and GUS!! 

If you want to check them out here is the link to Amazon:






No comments:

Post a Comment