Tuesday, April 14, 2015

{Review} Bound by Duty by Stormy Smith


Amelia grew up in a world of half-truths. She knows she's an Elder but has no idea what that means. Her father reminds her daily that she must maintain control but he refuses to explain why. Even worse, she's betrothed to the prince of the Immortals and she doesn't even know his name. 

Finally breaking free to live a few normal years at a community college, the last thing Amelia expects is to find her best friend in a cheeky Southern girl and to fall for a self-assured human who sees her for who she is and not what she'll be.

As she learns more about herself, Amelia realizes the line between love and duty is a thin one. As her power continues to increase exponentially and her questions are slowly answered, Amelia must make the ultimate choice. The question is, will her head or her heart win the battle?


I am going to be honest, this book was really hard to get into and keep reading. The very beginning was interesting and it sucked me in and then as I kept reading, I got really bored but I wanted to find out what Amelia was and learn about her powers, so I kept reading. As I got towards the end, I was still struggling but I was still interested so I took that as a good sign. 

When I got to the end, I was hugely disappointed to not get enough information. I was left with more questions than answers. I know authors do that to get you to read the next installment but I think some questions could have been explained and people would have still picked up the next one because of the weird love angle in this one... 

The biggest thing that irritated me was the protagonist. I wanted to shake the shit out of her because she was such a whiner!! I wanted to scream, "Grow the fuck up and put on your big girl panties, stop running away from the truth, if you want it so bad!!!". 




And a lot of this story is her internal babbling, there wasn't enough time to really digest. She was constantly complaining or thinking about something without resolving anything. It drove me bat shit crazy!!

Also, this book needed a good edit job. The flow was off and there were parts that were repeated. Such as, when they were on the beach and she said they stood up brushed the sand off and then a couple of sentences later, she said she stood up expectantly... She was already standing up, how did she stand up again? There were a few other areas but I can't remember them right this second...

BUT... 

Other than those things, I enjoyed the story itself. It was different and creative, something that isn't the same as any other story. Not much of a romance, I'd say it is paranormal with a little bit of romance woven in. The passion was missing, I needed more stolen glances and date nights, rather than pushing each other away in order for me to really feel it. 

I want to continue the series but probably when all the books are published. I heard the next installment ends on a cliffy and I will probably want to twat kick the author if I read that one and I am left hanging... 



(Kidding...sort of...)

Overall, I give this book a 3/5 "Original and creative paranormal" Stars... 

If you want to check it out for yourself the link is below... 

No comments:

Post a Comment