Wednesday, April 22, 2015

{Review} Overruled by Emma Chase


As a DC defense attorney, Stanton Shaw keeps his head cool, his questions sharp, and his arguments irrefutable. They don’t call him the Jury Charmer for nothing – with his southern drawl, disarming smile and captivating green eyes – he’s a hard man to say no to. Men want to be him and women want to be thoroughly cross examined by him.
Stanton’s a man with a plan. And for a while, life was going according to that plan.
Until the day he receives an invitation to the wedding of his high school sweetheart and mother of his beloved ten-year old daughter. Jenny is getting married — to someone who isn’t him.
That's definitely not part of the plan.
***
Sofia Santos is a city raised, no-nonsense litigator who plans to become the most revered criminal defense attorney in the country. She doesn’t have time for relationships or distractions.
But when Stanton, her "friend with mind-blowing benefits" begs for help, she finds herself out of her element, out of her depth, and obviously out of her mind. Because she agrees to go with him – to The-Middle-Of-Nowhere, Mississippi – to do all she can to help Stanton win back the woman he loves. 
Her head tells her she's crazy...and her heart says something else entirely.
*** 
What happens when you mix a one stop-light town, two professional arguers, a homecoming queen, four big brothers, some Jimmy Dean sausage and a gun-toting Nana? 
The Bourbon flows, passions rise and even the best laid plans get overruled by the desires of the heart.


Oh Darling, this book gave me so many great feels. 

Stanton gave Drew Evans a run for his money but Drew will still be number one in my heart. 

Stanton's quick wit, southern charm, and remarkable bed skills had my toes curling and my heart melting.


This book started out kind of slow, but as I read more, I was continually loving the ride I was being taken on. Stanton was a classic, arrogant, southern boy that had a way of speaking that all but made your panties disappear.



Sofia was a feisty, ball busting best friend. She knew how to dish out the insults and argue with the best of them. She didn't back down and I loved her from the very first page I met her on. 

Stanton and Sofia together were like this dynamic duo that no one wanted to be put up against. But unfortunately, even though the sex was good, Stanton always had someone back home that would always have his heart. 

It drove me crazy trying to get Stanton to realize what was in front of him!! I was screaming at my book and was annoyed with him more than I liked him...

Men...


But this book had a real laid back, quiet feel to it, which is what really won me over. My grandparents live in the middle of nowhere surrounded by acres of land and the only neighbors are my aunts and uncles. It's peaceful there, where you can sit outside on the huge porch and just enjoy the silence. When I was younger, it drove me crazy bc there was nothing to do but now that I am older, I can appreciate it a lot more than I could before. 

Now,when I sit out on the porch swing, with my own kids running around, I soak in all the peace and the feeling of belonging. But I could never live there because everyone knew everyone else's business and we couldn't go anywhere around town without bumping into someone that my grandparents knew, it is that small. 

Because of that, I felt for Stanton, the split between feeling at home and wanting something more. Wanting to always have a place to ground you but wanting more in life than the small town that he grew up in. I could empathize with him. 

Even when he was acting like a tool, I was rooting for him to get his head out of his ass. 

And just when I thought the ending was going to be predictable, Emma surprised me. I fell more in love with the book by the end because of that conclusion. It wasn't what I was expecting but at the same time, it was everything I wanted. 

I give this cocky, southern read a 4.5 "I need a gun-toting, granny" Stars!

Here is the link to Pre-Order this novel by the ever-funny Emma Chase... 


No comments:

Post a Comment