Friday, July 17, 2015

{Review} Neanderthal Seeks Human by Penny Reid



This is a full-length, 110k word novel and is the first book in the Knitting in the City series.

There are three things you need to know about Janie Morris: 1) She is incapable of engaging in a conversation without volunteering TMTI (Too Much Trivial Information), especially when she is unnerved, 2) No one unnerves her more than Quinn Sullivan, and 3) She doesn't know how to knit.

After losing her boyfriend, apartment, and job in the same day, Janie Morris can't help wondering what new torment fate has in store. To her utter mortification, Quinn Sullivan- aka Sir McHotpants- witnesses it all then keeps turning up like a pair of shoes you lust after but can't afford. The last thing she expects is for Quinn- the focus of her slightly, albeit harmless, stalkerish tendencies- to make her an offer she can't refuse.


I have to admit, when I first started this book I wondered what I got myself into. The incessant babbling the main character did in the first five pages almost made me want to quit the story all together. Run on internal monologues make me want to stab my own eyes out....


But I persevered and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how much I really LOVED this book by the end of it.

The heroine was not what I call a regular character. She is quirky, weird, super intelligent, and she just says things that had me scratching my head and performing a google search to see if it was true (of course it was true). It was like reading a trivia book, with information you never thought you wanted to know but all of a sudden you know it and you are a better person for knowing. 

Or something like that.

The hero was not what I was expecting either. I thought the heroine would have found a geeky little nerd with a super high GPA and an even bigger vocabulary. But what I got was very... Alpha with a side of smarts, and I can't say my lady bits weren't a tad bit (ok a lot of bit) turned on from his very interesting errr... vocabulary ;). 

The story itself was intriguing but I felt a bit bereft at the end, due to the lack of information from the drama that happened in the book. Why tell us all that drama and not give us the resolution in black and white...


I was disappointed and even if Mr. McHotpants "solved" it, I still wanted to know how!! 

Other than that small lack of detail, everything else from this story was exceptional with a dash of extraordinary!!
 I LOVED the quirk, I LOVED the word vomit and I really enjoyed how the story unfolded. It was like little tidbits of information splattered throughout and I had to read every little thing in order to piece together what was happening. It kept me interested and I loved the bread crumbs. 

Overall, I give this book a 4.5 "I’m reading a great book on anti-gravity. I can’t put it down." Stars!!! 


Link to Amazon...

No comments:

Post a Comment