Thursday, January 9, 2014

{Review} Desperation Lingers by Anthony Paull


Desperation Lingers doesn't want to die! She simply wants to break the habit of living another disastrous day. A guidance counselor at a Miami second chance school, she longs to be a teacher but sends the students scattering like roaches, calling her beastly names. Principal Hector Rivera says she's too high society, unable to relate. His criticism would be easier to take if the two weren't having a rocky, not-so-private affair. Still reeling from a series of failed marriages can she prove to Hector -- everyone -- that she has what it takes to lead a class? Recruiting three unlikely students, she devises a secret plan to instruct Miami's greatest social misfits the one subject she knows best -- etiquette. But who's teaching whom? And in the end, to what depths will Desperation plunge to learn the truth about life, love, and being a lady? 

A romance of hilarity in the most nontraditional sense!

My Thoughts

The only word that comes to the forefront of my mind when thinking back to this book is HOT MESS... OOk maybe that is two words but you get what I mean. 

When the author first emailed me about this book, I was thinking, "ok what kind of cover is that??" (yes I admit, I am a total judgmental cover whore) so I read the synopsis, which I usually never do because I like to be surprised with what I am about to read. And again, I was like hmmm interesting but this does not seem like the type of book I would normally read. So I do what any sane person would do and stalked the author (What do you mean thats not SANE???). Well, lets just say after stalking him for a little bit and seeing his posts... I totally fell head over heels in love with him. He is funny, charming, and I thought to myself "of course he swings for the other team, all the amazing ones do!!" So I email him back and tell him that I would review his book for him AND that I thought we should become BFFs because he just seemed like he was great BFF material! 
Plus, he is perverted like me and that is always a winner in my book!! 

So fast forward a few (ok a lot) of weeks and I finally get around to reading this book and as I am reading, I am totally confused on where this book is going. I forgot what it was about from reading the synopsis but I am still stalking this author and I know how funny and amazing he is, so I know this book is going to blow me away too. 
So I continue on. 

I get more and more into this book and I just keep thinking "God this woman is one hot ass mess, she needs to get her shit together already." She frustrated me so much with her back and forth that I wanted to strangle her myself!! 
It was like, if something good was coming her way, she felt she didn't deserve it so she would fuck it up somehow to ruin the good thing. 

I would like to say there was a certain turning point in the story where shit seemed to finally level out but there were a lot of those. It would straighten out and then the MC would turn around and fuck it up...again.

But even with the frustration with the MC, I was still invested and loving this book. I didn't know what the fuck to do with this character and whether or not I wanted to like her or smack her but I was still loving the overall message. The sense of empowerment for woman, the sisterhood of sticking together and knowing your worth, and even when society deems you unacceptable, you can be acceptable within yourself and love yourself. Friendships are also important in any shape or form you get them in. Whether it is in the shape of a teenager with a broken home life or a woman trapped in a man's body... They are important...

So I get to the end and I still have no clue what I just read but I felt like I wanted to start a sisterhood group of my own. Empower people, start a movement, show people they are loved no matter what shape, size, or sexual orientation they come in! 
It was like a lightbulb going off in my head. "Oh that's the message!!! That was what the author was trying to get across"... 

Such a sly fellow, that one! 

He delivered a powerful message in the most unconventional way possible but it was there within the confines of that book and I loved it. I loved how obvious but yet not obvious this message was delivered and I totally "got it". Of course it took me a second but I still "got it". 

So if you want to read an empowering, enlightening book with an overall unconventional way of telling a powerful message then I would give this book a chance and I promise by the end you will feel like a better person. 

No seriously, take a chance and read Desperation Lingers, uncover the sense of empowerment through the words and then come back here and lets discuss!! 

Overall, I give this book a 4.5/5 and I hope to read and stalk more of Anthony in the future :)..


No comments:

Post a Comment