Thursday, January 16, 2014

{Review}{Excerpt} Fallen Crest Public by Tijan



Sam's first day at Fallen Crest Public doesn't go well. Some girls want to be her. Some girls want to destroy her. And some just don't like her. All in all, despite being protected by Mason and Logan, it's still only the strong survive. Sam will not only have to survive, she needs to learn how to conquer too, but there's another battle growing. Things are about to come to a disastrous end between the towns, Roussou and Fallen Crest. Sam's other main dilemma? Keeping Mason and Logan from getting arrested or hospitalized. 

This is the third book in the Fallen Crest Series. 
Fallen Crest High 
Fallen Crest Family 
Fallen Crest Public

My Thoughts

I would like to start off by saying, this series really had to grow on me. I did not like the first book very much. It was just all over the place and I did not get a clear sense of WHO these characters were (minus Mason). Sam kind of annoyed me because she was strong one second, and then the next I wanted to choke her, and then the next second, I was completely confused with her and where her character was going. 
I don't know, it just seemed really weird and confusing. But I had to remember that this chick is in high school, so of course she hasn't figured out what she is, or more importantly, who! 

So I continue on to Fallen Crest Family, and I wanted to ring Sam's mother's neck the entire time. I finally started to see Sam's true character underneath and she had her shining moments of being strong. I found out more about Sam's mother's character and what a cunt she was. All the characterization that I was missing in the first book, was finally showing in the second. There was drama and I actually really liked this story. I was happy that I did not stop reading the series after the first one because I would have regretted it. 

So, then I move on to Fallen Crest Public and I loved it. All the snarky bitchiness, the cunts in school, the strong willed nature of Sam, MAJOR drama and ass kickings, and I was sold! 

Hook. Line. Sinker.

Mason and Sam are finally at the same school together, after Sam transfers to Public to be with Mason and get away from all the snobby kids and most importantly, her "father". 
One thing I absolutely HATED in the first two books was the relationship between Sam and her dad. I mean come on, the man raised you, your ENTIRE life, and you just count him out when you find out he doesn't share your DNA?? 
That's some bullshit! 
It pissed me off, personally, because I have a step-mother who raised me when my own mother walked out of my life when I was 4, so I know blood and DNA mean nothing when it comes to family. And yes, I know it takes two to keep in touch, but I think Sam was more of a cunt to her dad than vice-versa. With that being said, I was happy to see where the relationship was heading by the end of FCP. It made my heart smile a little to see Sam finally opening back up to him, like it should have been this whole time. 



Moving on.... 
The girls at the high school were bitches and I wish Sam would have told Mason what was going on from the beginning but then the book wouldn't have been as dramatic so that was a good/bad thing for me. But I loved all the characters, even the fucked up ones that I wanted to punch in the face because every single one of them added to the overall dynamic of the book! 

I was really addicted to this book but I really did not like where the series was heading. At the end, we get a sense of foreshadowing to show where the next book is heading and I was disappointed with what the author is trying to do. Will that deter me from reading the next installment??
 No... 
But I really hope it doesn't become this huge triangle because the only family Logan and Mason have is one another. With this monkey wrench that may or may not be thrown in to the equation, I think it will suck...

But Tijan is the author and I have to trust she will deliver something spectacular to make me and everyone else addicted to this series!! 

Overall, I give this book a 4/5 "Mason is one hot piece of ass STARS" and I recommend it to anyone who LOVES Tijans writing or this series in general!! Or hell the whole series is amazing so just read it!



Excerpt
Kate’s sneer turned into a snarl. “You think you’re funny?”
One of the three added, “Maybe she’s taking lessons from Logan?”
Another snorted. “Probably. She needs all the lessons she can get.”
My smile had stretched from ear to ear now. It was genuine, too. “Is this another warning from you? I thought you moved past the cliché insults and name calling. Oh wait. You said lessons. Yes, that’s referencing that I’m dumb. That’s another cliché insult.” With my hand in the air, I lifted a finger with each point. “I’m ugly. I’m dumb. I have too much sex. Those are the three main ones most simpletons use to insult others. The clothes and the mannequin gave me hope. I thought you were starting to progress, but then I heard that you’ve already done that before. It’s recycled material. You guys need to find new stuff. You know what they say about comedians?” At their blank faces, I nodded. “What I expected. If they use old material, the act is boring. People move on. If you’re going to keep drawing fresh fear from everyone, you need new stuff.” I stood and patted Kate’s head. “You can do it. I believe in you.”
Logan stood by the door and held it open. Mason came in behind him. Both found me immediately. I wondered who had notified them, but then Kate grabbed my arm. She twisted it and got into my face. Her hand tightened on my arm and she lowered her voice, “You have until the end of the day to drop out of school. This is the last warning.”
A taunt rose to my tongue, but I swallowed it. The jokes were gone.
Three thoughts happened at the same time. David’s image flashed again. “Fuck it,” came next. Third, when I knew what I was going to do, I thought, “Let’s see how this goes.”
Kate’s eyes widened as she watched the myriad of expressions before she saw my intent. Her hand let me go, and she started to back away, but it was too late. My hand latched onto hers instead, and I took one second to comment, “Bet you weren’t expecting this,” I said before my other hand grabbed the back of her head and used all my body weight to slam her head into the table.



AUTHOR BIO:

Tijan started writing later in life, after she had already graduated college with a different direction in mind and a different degree under her belt. Hitting the brakes on that path, she taught herself how to write a good book and began posting at sites such as Fictionpress, along with Wattpad. After receiving such encouraging messages from readers, she self-published Fallen Crest High and has continued throughout the year. She continues to keep writing NA books!

AUTHOR LINKS:

FACEBOOK 
  
GOODREADS 

GOODREADS AUTHOR 



BOOK TRAILER



PLAYLIST 
LET IT GO, THE NEIGHBORHOOD
EYES ON FIRE (ZEDS DEAD REMIX)
 BLUE FOUNDATION
SOMEBODY THAT I USED TO KNOW REMIX, DUBSTEP MAFIA
DO I WANNA KNOW? ARCTIC MONKEYS
PROBLEM, NATALIA KILLS
CONTROVERSY, NATALIA KILLS
UNDER THE WATER, THE PRETTY RECKLESS
BONES, MS MR
ROYALS, LORDE
HEY BROTHER, AVICII
BITING DOWN, LORDE
NASHVILLE, NOAH GUNDERSEN
FIRE, NOAH GUNDERSEN
DAVID, NOAH GUNDERSEN
GROW, RAE MORRIS
WITH LOVE, CHRISTINA GRIMMIE
FIND ME (STRIPPED), CHRISTINA GRIMMIE
RAISE THE DEAD, RACHEL RABIN
BUILD A COFFIN, RACHEL RABIN
TRITONAL ALBUMS (MULTIPLE OF THESE)
DARK ON FIRE, TURIN BRAKES
ALMOST ANYTHING BY LANA DEL REY
WE DON'T EAT, JAMES VINCENT
 MCMORROW (REMIX AND ORIGINAL)
 NASTY LETTER, OTIS TAYLOR

No comments:

Post a Comment