Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Unfinished Business by Carolyn Aspenson

I got this book from the author for an honest review. 
It is out of my "norm" and I honestly was feeling a little run down from all the angst, heartbreak, and love stories that I was happy to switch it up for a little bit and boy I not only switched out of my comfort zone but I got batted out of left field!!! 
With that being said I really enjoyed this book and was glad I got the honor of reviewing it for her. 

Now here is my review of: 

Unfinished Business 

Business; An Angela Panther Novel is the first in a series by Carolyn Ridder Aspenson. This book is a chick lit novel with a paranormal element.
The book is available as an ebook through Barnes & Noble, iTunes and Amazon. It will be available as a paperback on Amazon in May, 2013.
When Angela's mother Fran dies and comes back as a ghost, Angela's ordinary life turns into a carnival show, starring both Angela and her nosy, dead mother.
It seems Fran's got some unfinished business on earth and she's determined to get it done, no matter what.
When Fran returned, she reignited her daughter's long suppressed psychic gift, one she neglected to mention to Angela, and now Angela sees ghosts everywhere. And they won't leave her alone.
Fran can't help but stick her transparent nose where it doesn't belong, making Angela's life even crazier.
Now Angela has to find a way to keep her old life in tact and help the dead with their unfinished business, all while trying to keep her dead mother out of trouble. And it's a lot for one woman to handle.


My Thoughts

Gosh this book was really good. 
It was about ghosts, the love of family, the never ending love of mothers and their daughters, add some humor and it was the perfect combination of adult/chiklit/paranormal. 

So I am not a believer in ghosts or anything like that but I do believe that my grandfather is up in heaven looking out for me, I have to believe that because I lost him way too soon, I didn't have enough time with him before he left this world and this book brought a lot of those emotions back out. 

Angela is a married mother of two who's mom just passed away from cancer when one night her mother wakes her up to tell her that she isn't going to heaven because she has some stuff left to do, hence the title.
But her mother isn't the only ghost who has some unfinished business to attend too, there are others who need Angela's help as well.

"Flip me over and put a bun on me because I was done. I was seeing the ghost of my mother and she was telling me to redecorate"

Of course Angela freaks, I mean who wouldn't freak that they are seeing ghosts???!!!!! HELLOOO I would probably shit myself and check myself right into a loony bin with lots of padded walls!! 

But luckily Angela doesn't do that and 
once she accepts the truth of her future (its definitely a hard pill to swallow) she begins to see the good in helping the ghosts who need it. 

Some of the things she has to do is heartbreaking and will give you chills while bringing tears to your eyes.
As I was reading my husband asked why it looked like I have been crying, I told him that the book was a little heartbreaking.

He told me to sleep in guest room because that was embarrassing.
HuMMmmMpH- jerk

It was a really good story, there were some parts that were a little slow but overall I was entranced while I was reading, laughing at some of the dialogue, and praying that my daughter wouldn't become a sullen teenager full of angst (HA yeah right I know I am not THAT lucky). 

It's heartwarming because even though Angela's mother was a spirit and driving her absolutely CRAZY, she still thought it was nice that she could interact with her as if she was still living and thats something that nobody can take away.

This book is very relatable, especially if you have children or lost someone close to you. This author wrote from the heart and it was based on true events (not the ghost part but other parts of the book were). 
It seemed therapeutic to the author and you could tell she poured her heart into it.
Losing someone, especially a parent, is never easy and this author addresses that in heavy doses but she also adds humor to it making it lighter and easier to read. You will be so sad for the people in the book and then smiling afterwords.

"Sometimes being haunted by my mother was like having a toddler again"

This book was totally different from my normal reads
There were no love scenes, hardly any angst, barely any curse words but it was still a well-written book that kept me entertained. 

If you are looking for something different from your normal reads or even a beach read this would be perfect for you! 
I didn't think I would like it as much as I did but I really did and if you want to check it out for yourself here is the information for it: 




I give this book a 4/5 and if you want to check it out go here:



1 comment: