Monday, September 2, 2013

{REVIEW} Elegantly Wasted by C. Elizabeth Vescio

I was asked to read this book and I don't even know what to say.. It has taken me a lot longer to figure it out than normal but I think I finally got it... 
Here is my review for: 



On the eve of her high school graduation, proper socialite Francesca “Frankie” Fairholm rebelled against her elitist and controlling family to pursue the dark lifestyle of a contract killer for the enigmatic Osiris Corporation. Years later, with her training complete, she believes she's doomed to the life of a sociopathic lone gun until a botched hit brings two unlikely allies, her cousins Addison and Katharine.

Using Katharine’s etiquette school, Elegance, Inc., as a front, the trio weave through Frankie’s dark underworld, carrying out contracts, drinking too much wine, and trying not to get each other killed.

Trouble follows the team home when the death of the cruel Fairholm matriarch reveals more than they ever wanted to know about their family. As the funeral preparations play out, the trio begin to realize there is much more to their employer than meets the eye and their family connections run deeper than they ever imagined.

My Thoughts

So this book was definitely NOT one of my "normal" reads and I was hesitant at first to read it because I didn't think I could like it since it was not my normal genre. With that being said, I just had one of those feelings like I need to read this book, you know those feelings you sometimes get when you see a book and you just say ok I should read this, there is something about this book that is intriguing me??? 
Well, I got that feeling and dove straight in.. I don't think I came up for air until I reached the end and even then I was panting for more..

This book is like Charlie Angels on CRACK!! Three bad ass chicks (well it starts off with just Frankie and her cousins kind of get recruited) being assassins, kicking ass and taking care of the bad guys. AKA shanking, shooting, or slicing their necks.. It was gruesome but it was done in a funny way. Frankie's sense of sarcasm, wit, and humor made the whole book better. The situations were not so heavy and gross, it was comical and gross ;). 

While reading, I couldn't figure out if I was crazy for loving it, if I needed to be institutionalized for laughing or if I was sociopath along with Frankie? I mean who finds humor in killing someone? But thats what this book did, it kept me intrigued and wanting to read more, taking me out of my comfort zone and placing me somewhere unknown but leaving me satisfied in what the book was doing and where it was heading. 

"You have the spirit I always tried to obtain," she told me. I have more than that. I have spirit, sharp wit, unrelenting cynicism, and to top it all off I was just issued a suitcase of weapons"

Frankie the main character as previously stated was funny, witty, sarcastic, a little bitchy and all out crazy. But she had boundaries and she was the way she was because her home life was less than stellar. 
The psychology student in me was cheering for the psychological concepts and craziness that was happening, the human side was cringing at what she had to live through. 
I probably would have found joy in killing other people too if I was her (GAAASSSPPP, I know but when you read it you will see what I mean). 

"Osiris just seems like a place for lost children," I suddenly felt sad, though I wasn't quite sure why. "No one wanted me around, so I had to leave home and join a company of killers to feel wanted."

This book is not just about killing people and hired chick assassins, it was also about three women finding their own way, away from the scrutiny of the family, while still keeping up a facade to the outside world. They had to learn to trust in not only themselves but in each other. Trust was a hard thing to come by in that family.

 It was full of action, humor, sarcasm, and a crazy family with no moral compass. The ending is a dozy and you suspect but do not know the full weight of secrets the family is hiding. 

You won't guess so it is better to not even try.

I was reading this book while riding in a car, on the way to visit family and I kept laughing and cringing and smacking my husband saying listen, listen, listen.. She just slept with her enemy and they compared her to a black widow *giggles ensue* and he just gives me a blank stare and asks if he has to be worried about me shanking him in the middle of the night... 
Silly husband....

If you want to read an action packed book full of badass females who can shoot ya and smile afterwards, then sleep like a baby at night, this book is for you. If you have a minor obsession with Charlie Angels on crack then I suggest getting this book. 
I promise it is not like any book you have read, if you are like me and read mostly NA, YA, and paranormal you might be hesitant but I advise you to just give it a try. It will take you out of your comfort zone and you will find yourself questioning your moral compass and asking yourself.. 
"Is it ok to kill someone who really deserve it??" 
"Would I actually kill my worst enemy because they deserve bad things to happen to them??" 
But it is a good read and a serious mind-fuck ;)

I give this book between a 4-4.5 and I look forward to reading more from this author.

If you want to check it out for yourself, go here:  







No comments:

Post a Comment