Thursday, September 5, 2013

{REVIEW} Unspoken by Jen Frederick

I requested this book on Netgalley and was excited to be approved.. I didn't even read the description I just saw it was New Adult and the cover was swoon-worthy so I clicked it.. Now here is what I thought of: 


Whore. Slut. Typhoid Mary.

I've been called all these at Central College. One drunken night, one act of irresponsible behavior, and my reputation was ruined. Guys labeled me as easy and girls shied away. To cope, I stayed away from Central social life and away from Central men, so why is it that my new biology lab partner is so irresistible to me?

He's everything I shouldn't want. A former Marine involved in illegal fighting with a quick trigger temper and an easy smile for all the women. His fists aren't the danger to me, though, it's his charm. He's sliding his way into my heart and I'm afraid that he's going to be the one to break me.

Impulsive. Unthinking. Hot tempered.

I allow instinct to rule my behavior. If it feels good, do it, has been my motto because if I spend too much time thinking, I'll begin to remember exactly where I came from. At Central College, I've got fighting and I've got women and I thought I was satisfied until I met her.

She's everything I didn't realize I wanted and the more time I spend with her, the more I want her. But she's been hurt too much in the past and I don't want to be the one to break her. I know I should walk away, but I just can't

My Thoughts

So I was in like with this book and was almost in love with it but the ending left me feeling a little bereft. I think I needed more information about AM and her dad's relationship, Bo and his mom's relationship, what happened after college was over.. 
Just little things that I think should have been rounded out a little more. 
But even with all that, I still really enjoyed this book and here is why...

The details were incredibly accurate! 
I don't know if the author is married to a Marine, used to be a Marine, has a relative or a friend that is a Marine but she knew her knowledge, especially about Grunts and POGs. My husband is a grunt and when I read the few parts about Bo calling people POGs it made me chuckle because it was something my husband would say!
Also the camaraderie between Marines even when they transition out the Corps was fairly accurate, a lot of Marines still keep in touch with their fellow brothers even years after they are separated from the MC. They form a special kind of bond while they are stationed together, especially if they have fought together. 

"You can smite one Marine, but a thousand will rise up to avenge him"

AM was a great character, she grew up in this story, learned how to stand up for herself, and seeing her transform throughout the story was inspiring. Bo was sexy as sin, patient, kind, didn't tolerate bullshit and he was a fighter both metaphorically and literally. He fought his way through life, fought to love AM, and fought grown men to help with the pain inside of himself. 

AM and Bo both had demons they needed to overcome and they did it, together. Bo was trying to get over his past and his abusive father, while AM was trying to get over the bullying that was taking place in her life, along with trying to communicate with an absentee father. They found solace in one another but they were both getting stronger standing on their own two feet.

The chemistry between AM and Bo was magical, sexy, steamy, and believable. Their relationship started as friends and built from there, there was no insta-love but definitely an insta-connection that could make your toes curl, and have your heart skipping beats. The love scenes made me want to blush and then attack my husband ;).

"She knew I was right, but the question was whether she wanted to give me a chance. I was asking her to do more than reveal a painful memory. I was essentially asking her for something more than a random one-night hook-up. I wanted her to trust me. I wanted her to be more than just a lab partner, more than just another warm body between the sheets. I wanted to matter to her."

The story was overall really good, believable, there were some cheese parts but I still thought it was cute and sexy. The well-thought out characters is really what made this book enjoyable to read and I am glad I picked it to review!! 

If you want to read a book about characters becoming stronger and overcoming adversary, finding solace with one another but being able to fight their own demons, then you will love this story. There is a heavy emphasis on bullying and sexual harassment but the author did a good job with keeping it plausible and not too heavy that the book was hard to read. 

Overall, I rate this book between a 3.5-4  maybe closer to a 4. 

It is set to release September 16th, 2013!!




No comments:

Post a Comment