Friday, February 8, 2013

Kicking Eternity

This sweet, sweet author asked me to read one of her novels and I took her up on her offer! I just finished it tonight and wanted to tell you guys about it...

The novel is called Kicking Eternity by Ann Lee Miller

Description from Amazon
Stuck in sleepy New Smyrna Beach one last summer, Raine socks away her camp pay checks, worries about her druggy brother, and ignores trouble: Cal Koomer. She’s a plane ticket away from teaching orphans in Africa, and not even Cal’s surfer six-pack and the chinks she spies in his rebel armor will derail her.

The artist in Cal begs to paint Raine’s ivory skin, high cheek bones, and internal sparklers behind her eyes, but falling for her would caterwaul him into his parents’ life. No thanks. The girl was self-righteous waiting to happen. Mom served sanctimony like vegetables, three servings a day, and he had a gut full.

Rec Director Drew taunts her with “Rainey” and calls her an enabler. He is so infernally there like a horsefly—till he buzzes back to his ex.

Raine’s brother tweaks. Her dream of Africa dies small deaths. Will she figure out what to fight for and what to free before it’s too late?

For anyone who’s ever wrestled with her dreams.

My View 
I would like to admit that this book wouldn't be something I would normally read but I was pleasantly surprised in how much I enjoyed it. It was very spiritual and I do not get into religious debates or talk about religion to anyone because I believe it is a very personal subject and this book aligned with my sentiments as well. 
Cal is a preacher's son who I instantly felt like he was lost and didn't know whether to believe everything he was taught growing up or branch out to other religions to see if there was more out there. 
Raine always believed in her spirituality and she taught it to others at the camp. Even though she enjoyed her work she wanted desperately to get away to Africa because she felt that was God's will for her and she wanted to follow it but also wanted to escape from her past. 
Drew also believed in his spirituality and he tried to follow what God had planned for him but he was stuck in the past and in order to move forward he needed to confront his past demons. 
Each main character was trying to find their way in life and in their beliefs, whether to move forward or go backwards, believe in what they were taught or find their own way. Each of these situations have come up in almost everybody's life and I feel like the author did a great job portraying the uncertainty that life can throw your way sometimes. These characters felt more real and even the secondary characters each played an important role in this novel and I liked them as well. I would suggest this book to anyone who believes in God or who may even be on the fence. But if you do not believe then this book is not for you. 

I give this book a 3.9/5 and if you want to check it out, it's FREE just go here and DL it to your Kindle: 

No comments:

Post a Comment