Monday, May 20, 2013

Deeper We Fall by Chelsea Cameron

"Remember; Elizabeth fell for Mr. Darcy, Beauty fell for the Beast and Scarlet fell for Rhett."

I was given the opportunity to review this book from Netgalley and I am so very appreciative of it!!!
I could not PUT.THIS.DOWN. 
I stayed up until 2am reading more than 60% of it, woke up and read another 20% and then came home from running around and HAD to finish the rest of it...

Description:

Two years after her best friend was involved in a car accident that caused a traumatic brain injury, Lottie Anders is ready to start her freshman year of college. Ready to move on. Ready to start forgetting the night that ripped her life apart.
Her plans come to a screeching halt when not one, but both brothers responsible for the accident end up back in her life again.
Zack is cruel, selfish and constantly rubbing what happened to her friend in Lottie's face.
Zan is different. He listens to her awkward ramblings. He loves "To Kill a Mockingbird" as much as she does, and his dark eyes are irresistible. His words are few and far between, but when he does speak, she can't help but listen.
The trouble is, Zan was the driver in the accident, and now Lottie's discovered he lied to her about what happened that night. Now she must decide if trusting him again will lead to real forgiveness, or deeper heartache.

My Thoughts:

I don't know where to begin with this review. From the very beginning I was hooked because the characters were captivating from the very first page of the book. There really wasn't anything special that happened other than the accident but my attention was enthralled from the very beginning to the very end.

Lottie is an amazing character full of sarcasm and wit that made me love her from the very beginning. She was also a twin with her brother Will. They made the perfect little package along with their gay friend Simon. 
Lottie was also a fellow book lover that made me completely gush over her character.

 The book starts off with the night that her friend Lexie was in the car accident and the event that lead up to it. After that it fast forwards to the first day of college and Lottie and Will setting up their rooms. Once Lexie meets her roommate Katie she knew she was in for a long year because the squeeing pink loving girl was a little too much for Lexie to handle.

"Wow, it really is awful. It's like she murdered a Muppet and made pillows out of its pelt"

BUT that is not the worst of it, Lottie soon finds out that Katie's boyfriend is someone that she thought was still back at home and not on the same campus as her. 

Zack and Zan end up being in the same college as Lottie and she doesn't know how to feel. She thinks Zack is the biggest creep she has ever had the misfortune to know and she always thought Zan was a little weird but never got the creep out vibe from him. 

This story goes back and forth from Zan's and Lottie's POV. 
You understand Lottie's pain and sympathize with her but you also feel that Zan has had enough turmoil in his life and you want Lottie to give him a break. Zan has always loved Lottie since he started to really realize girls existed and you see how much pain he endures knowing he irrevocably shattered her life with just one night. With the help of a kick-ass, don't take no shit social worker, Zan realizes that he is worth more and starts applying himself in school, life, and trying to get Lottie to forgive him. 
When Lottie starts to see the real Zan from the fog of hate and pain she realizes what the real Zan is all about and you are rooting for them to accept one another and to forgive and more forward.

Even though Lottie's mom wasn't really present in the book I did find it funny when she would give Lottie advice about life by giving her books to read. That sounds like a good parenting tip I'll have to remember when my daughter is a raging hormone riddled teen. 

"Great. I'd insulted To Kill A Mocking Bird and made mom mad. It was worse than if I't take the Lord's name in vain" 
"For when I liked a boy who didn't like me back, she handed me Jane Austen. When I was all moody and hated the world, I got Poe and lots of other dark poetry to soothe my angst."

As Lottie learns to forgive Zan and his part in the accident he falls even more for her while Lottie keeps a distance because she just can't fall for the guy who caused so much pain in her life..

""That was before I knew what it was like to lose you." 
"In all fairness, you never really had me.""

But forgiveness is a powerful thing and once it is truly accepted, maybe anything can be possible... 

If you like books about forgiveness, the power of friendship, love, redemption, and acceptance then you will love this book as much as I did. It's powerful and you realize that sometimes things aren't always as they seem.. 

I give this book a 4.5/5 and I recommend it to anyone.. 

Here is the link to purchase from Amazon:


No comments:

Post a Comment