Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Vain by Fisher Amelie

So at first I fought reading this book because I was afraid I wouldn't like it and then be disappointed that everyone was raving about it and I was disappointed. BUT I am happy to say that this was not the case with this book. I actually LOVED it and I was so glad it was different from the other books I have been reading lately. 

Description from book:
If you’re looking for a story about a good, humble girl, who’s been hurt by someone she thought she could trust, only to find out she’s not as vulnerable as she thought she was and discovers an empowering side of herself that falls in love with the guy who helps her find that self, blah, blah, blah...then you’re gonna’ hate my story.

Because mine is not the story you read every time you bend back the cover of the latest trend novel. It’s not the “I can do anything, now that I’ve found you/I’m misunderstood but one day you’ll find me irresistible because of it” tale. Why? Because, if I was being honest with you, I’m a complete witch. There’s nothing redeeming about me. I’m a friend using, drug abusing, sex addict from Los Angeles. I’m every girlfriend’s worst nightmare and every boy’s fantasy.

I’m Sophie Price...And this is the story about how I went from the world’s most envied girl to the girl no one wanted around and why I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.

My Thoughts:

Sophie Price goes through the ultimate transformation in this book. 
She goes from rich, spoiled, brat to a human being. 
It starts off with Sophie being arrested and the judge orders her to help an orphanage in Africa
She hates the idea of having to go to a third world country and possibly risk her life when she rather be in CA shopping and doing the things that she does everyday.
But a small part of her does hope that this experience could change her into something human, with a heart.
When Sophie arrives in Africa she meets the lovely Ian who takes one look at Sophie and already cannot stand her because of everything she represents. 
But ohhh how similar their past lives happen to be.
When she arrives at the orphanage Sophie is in for the biggest culture shock of her life. Where she used to have an abundance of cash and clothes she now has an abundance of bugs and hard work. 
She is introduced to Charles and Karina who were the founders of the orphanage and also the ones that were in charge of it too. She immediately loved Karina because she was the type of woman who loved with her whole heart no matter the circumstances. 

".. she tossed me into her arms for the kind of hug I’d never once 
gotten from a woman but was so desperately in need of. It was the kind of hug a mother gave her daughter. I know, I’d seen Sav’s mom give her them many a time".

 Sophie didn't have that at home, the only time her parents paid any attention to her was when they wanted her to make an impression on potential clients. Her mother was cold and not the nurturing type while her father was a controlling rich man who wanted everyone and everything to be under his control and do what he says. 

As time progressed Sophie worked in the orphanage teaching children, mending fences, and pretty much doing whatever Charles and Karina asked her to do. As she worked she got closer to Ian and the attraction she felt from the moment she met him was only intensifying.
 She knew that he would never be interested in a girl like her because most days he seemed to be completely annoyed with her presence but you know what they say about wanting things you can't have and Sophie was no exception to the rule. 
She was so used to having people worship the ground she walked on that it was odd to not have Ian act the same way, even if she was enjoying it a little bit. 

"You want to stick with what’s easy for you. You foresee the amount of work it would take to transform yourself and you’re too frightened to embrace the challenge. Now, that, Sophie Price, is a real weakness.”

Ian actually starts to see the real Sophie that she hid behind the superficial one and he started to be just as enamored with her as she was with him. But how could they have a relationship in the middle of chaos and tragedy? What happens when Sophie's sentence is done? Does she give up her life and move to Africa permanently? Or has she had enough of the constant danger and heartache? 

This story is an absolute must read! 
The only criticism I give the book is we never find out if the relationship between Sophie and her mom change or stay the same?? But other than that the book is really amazing and it is definitely different from the other books that are out there.

"I’d come to Uganda to fulfill a mandatory sentence but was being fulfilled in a completely unexpected manner and happily, with my full consent. I’d come to help teach these children but instead they were teaching me."



If you want to read a book about growing up and becoming a different kind of person, love, forgiveness, heartache, vanity, and danger then I suggest you get started on this book right now! 
It's different, fun, but very moving! 

I give this book a 4.5/5 and if you want to check out yourself go here:


No comments:

Post a Comment