Thursday, October 24, 2013

{Review}{Teaser} Running in Place by L.B Simmons

What can I say...
 I love a good book with damaged characters who eventually find themselves and can be realistic at the same time! 
Running in Place had all of that for me...
plus some pretty sweet lyrics that made me swoon!


****NA Contemporary Romance, can be read as a stand alone. Due to theme of Child Abuse, Explicit Language, Mild Violence, and Sexual Situations - Recommend Readers 18+******

Tatum O’Connell:
Some call me a party girl. People see me as happy, full of life, with absolutely no cares in the world. They see what I want them to see. But no one knows me - really knows me. Not even Noah Reese. Mr. Perfect is always watching me, most likely judging every single imperfect thing I do. But, if Noah wants to keep an eye on me, that’s just fine. I definitely don’t mind. I just hope he doesn’t have any plans to save me from my new-found life of self-destruction because in order to save me, he will have to see me…
And I’m never going to let that happen.

Noah Reese:
Perfect. That’s me. That’s the only acceptable way to be, according to my father. Perfect grades. Perfect manners. Perfect athlete. Perfect SAT scores. Perfect college. And recently, I was accepted into the perfect med school. My future has already been mapped out for me and there’s nothing that can change that. Not even Tatum O’Connell. That girl is out of control, yet for some reason, I can’t seem to keep my distance from her. I watch her closely, hoping that one day she’ll let me in, but watching her lead her life down the dangerous path she’s on right now isn’t easy…
I have a feeling I’m about to find myself swept away by the hurricane that is Tatum O’Connell.

“Two fleeting souls,
Unknowingly tethered.
Too slowly drawn,
Impatient fate calls.
The jolting collide intertwines their lives
And splinters their walls.”
“Catalyst” – Noah Reese


My Thoughts

This book made me pay attention from the very beginning and I could not put it down until I was done with the last page. 

It was so moving and yet so realistic that I could believe it happened to someone..

This book starts off with Tatum's letter to her father and with a beginning like that, I was immediately sucked in. It was heart wrenching and emotional. I was heartbroken for this poor little girl who had to suffer by the hands of her mother. 

Then we get Noah's POV and I realized right off how talented he was as a lyricist and I was sucked into his story as well. I did get a sense of him being a little damaged too and it was not until later that I saw why. 

This story is great because it is not the normal romantic story... It is but it isn't... I didn't exactly know what was going to happen and Simmons does a fantastic job of keeping you guessing, wondering, and hoping that it will turn out like you want. 

Two broken people finding themselves amongst the daily life obstacles, learning to live, be free, grieving, and learning to forgive the people who provoked major damage on their souls. It was beautiful but angsty enough to give drama but not too much where I was under a constant wave of despair, just waiting to get out of it. And the sexual tension was almost too much but the build up is worth it. 
Amazing balance! 

I cried on multiple occasions, felt my heart being stabbed repeatedly but was also laughing and falling in love with these characters, while they were falling in love with each other. 
These characters are strong but need a little convincing that they are and the journey they take to find themselves is beautiful and heartwarming.

I give this book a 5/5 and if you have read the other stories by this author then know that this book is even better. I loved Running on Empty and Recovery novella but Running in Place is by far my favorite by this author <3







No comments:

Post a Comment