Monday, June 3, 2013

White Trash Beautiful by Teresa Mummert

"Sometimes you have to fall before you can fly...and sometimes you need someone to catch you"

This ARC was given to be for a honest review by Netgalley and Gallery Books..

Description: 

A word-of-mouth bestseller that’s captivating readers with its honesty, grit, and headstrong heroine, White Trash Beautiful is a story for anyone who has ever felt trapped in life, cheated by love—and longed for something more . . .
Cass Daniels isn’t waiting for her knight in shining armor. She knows that girls like her don’t get a happily ever after. Not if you live in a trailer with your mom, work at a greasy spoon diner, and get leered at by old men. Maybe that’s why she puts up with Jackson—her poor excuse for a boyfriend, who treats her like dirt. Cass has learned to accept her lot in life. That is, until he walks into her diner. . . .
His name is Tucker White, and he’s different from any man Cass has ever known. Tall, tattooed, and bad-ass gorgeous, he’s the lead singer of the rock band Damaged. From the moment they meet, Tucker sees something in Cass he just can’t shake. Something beautiful. Something haunted. Something special. And he’s determined to find out what it is—if only he can get her to open up and let him in. . . .

My Thoughts:

This book was a little rough for me. I liked it but I didn't LOVE it. 

It starts off with a funny excerpt about Cass' life in general

"I'm not naive. I know I don't get the happily ever after. My knight in shining armor took the highway detour around this godforsaken shit hole..." 

Cass is a girl stuck in a hard life, working while supporting her boyfriend and mother who both have a drug problem. She has been saving all the money she can so she can one day get out of the destruction that is her life.
While working at a diner, Tucker White enters and sits down in her section, from that moment on her life is never the same. 
She thinks he's gorgeous and way too good for her. She thinks he would never be interested in someone like her and if he is then that means he wants something from her, just like all the other guys in her life. 

As the story progresses you start to see the friendship forming between Tucker and Cass, you are yelling at Cass for being so cautious and stubborn but have compassion towards her situation. Cass wants to be there for her mother but living in that trailer with her abusive boyfriend is toxic. 

When she decides to leave and live a better life something happens that changes her whole life and you are left feeling so sorry for her. 

I liked this story, I still want to read the next book because I am not done with Cass and Tucker's story. I felt like the book JUST started getting good and then it ended and I am left bereft. This is why I do not like reviewing series until I read all of them but since I have to write about this one for a review I needed to write what I thought so far. 

I did love how Cass picked her life back up and started standing on her own two feet. She formed lasting friendships with people that were healthy for her and she was only missing one thing...Tucker. But my GOD she was so wishy-washy that I wanted to strangle her!! 

I loved Tucker's character and I hope to learn more about him in the other stories because I feel like he has more to say about himself than what was said already. He was the typical hot, sweet, kind, character that you'd expect but he also had similarities with Cass that made them a good match with one another. 
I just wish there was more passion between them, I couldn't quite connect with Cass or Tucker and I felt the story was missing something, like we only got part of the story and not all of it. I think Cass spent too much time pushing Tucker away and being back and forth that it drove me a little crazy. It was like she was being a brat one second and throwing fits and then the next declaring that she deserved to live her life, then back to feeling sorry for herself.. 
It was just a merry-go-round of emotions. 


I give this book a 3/5 *** and I do look forward to reading more in the future about Cass and Tucker..

This book is set to release on July 9th, 2013 




No comments:

Post a Comment